Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Caps Keep Going, Season's Not Over Yet!

I know what you are saying, “He can’t even up keep his own blog!” It’s getting to be ridiculous trying to find a job and keep my sanity at the same time. So I need to blow some steam and sit down and write. And what a time to be keeping an eye on the Capitals.

The Caps finish their road swing of seven games with a 3-1-3 record. I enjoy the symmetry of the effort, and am actually seeing more progress now than during the long stretches of the season with less than par attempts at winning.

The Capitals were able to stay in every game they played in over their road trip. When the Caps won, they did it in convincing wins. When they loss it was to one point games. It was the best showing this team has had for the year.

The Caps attitude has a lot to do with it. They may be out of the playoffs, but they are taking the opportunity to make the games they have left count. To learn to win against teams that are playoff bound are huge for the Caps.

In the Southeast Division, the Capitals are starting to make stands against their rivals. There is a never say die that was never in the Caps vocabulary in the middle stretch of the season. Now teams look at their calendars and know they have to come prepared against the Caps. A team they must play well against that isn’t even going to the playoffs. That says something about the future of this club.

Congrats to Rico Fata for scoring his first two of the year in the Carolina game. Not only were they his firsts with the Washington, but they were big, game changing goals. His speed is going to help the Caps a great deal as they perfect their aggressive style of forecheck.

As for little ole unemployed me, I will try to be a better blogger and get on more and get my thoughts up.

-- Around the NHL --

  • The New York Rangers were able to clinch tonight a playoff spot. Jaromir Jagr is racking up the record point totals for a season as a Ranger. Now I hate the bastard even more. Trust me, as soon as the media turns on him, he will curl up in a little ball and refuse to play at any kind of level. Sadly Rangers won’t make it to round two.

  • Former Capital turned Nashville Predator Brendan Witt was suspended by the league for a knee on knee hit against a Blue Jacket player. If any Nashville fans can clue me in on Witter, is he helping or hurting? I guess it remains to be seen.

  • Colorado Avalanche’s new goaltender, Jose Theodore, was able to practice for the first time with the team today. Colorado made probably the worst goaltender trade of all time (in my opinion), when they sent David Aebischer to Montreal for the hairless Theodore. Patrick Roy he is not, I will tell you right now.

So no fearless predictions on if Florida has a chance to make the playoffs (which they won’t), or if Anaheim is really worth its weight in feathers come Stanley time (I have faith in the Burke though). But I will sit down and plan out the playoff picture as the teams jockey for position. And if your company is hiring, don’t be shy and drop me a line, I just love to get paychecks.

No comments: