Saturday, August 05, 2006

Childhood Games (I Got Tagged)

What the hell? I was tagged? I was king of home-base for years as a kid (and making up more home-bases as the game went along, “This blade of grass is home-base! Ha!”). So as not to be “it” anymore, here are my five things. Prepare to be impressed.

1. I just celebrated my 8th anniversary of a beautiful marriage to my lovely wife Katie in July. When we met, she was actually dating a guy at another college. Of course I had to end that right then and there. From then we just became infatuated with one another, and it really has never ceased. (Okay, mushy stuff over).

2. I met Lynda Carter at a Holiday party at Vice President Dan Quayle’s house. The highlight of my young life (I was 14 at the time). Since then I have always had an obsession with Wonder Woman. Lynda Carter can rescue me anytime!

3. I saved my Uncle Gary’s life by simply being there. My uncle runs a farm in Nebraska and he brought me along to fix a feed trailer when it collapsed on top of him. When it fell, I knew something was wrong because Gary was not standing next to it, he was under it. I freaked, and ran to the house and called 911. There were other people at the house that helped me out. We lifted the trailer with a tractor’s front loader. Lucky for my uncle, the ground under the trailer was sandy and soft so he mostly sunk into the ground. He is still working on the farm and is fully recovered after a few months in the Hospital.

4. I have worked as a Doorkeeper at the US Capitol building. It was one of the most interesting jobs I have had. I have met so many people who visited the Senate Gallery, which includes Michael Stipe from R.E.M., David Hyde Pierce and brother, Paige Davis (before Trading Spaces) just to name a few. During the impeachment trial of Bill Clinton I snuck a rock radio station DJ in the gallery (for some DC area people that may remember I was Mr. X. You get extra credit if you can name the DJ).

5. In 2002, I had the opportunity to go to the gold medal game in Salt Lake City. One of the coolest things I have ever experienced. We sat three rows from the ice and five seats from Canada’s bench. Close enough to hear Chris Pronger yell at Theo Fluery to get his ass off the ice. Although Team USA did not win (the look on Jeremy Roenick’s face during the gold medal ceremony was priceless, he kept rolling his eyes as they announced the names of the Gold Medal Canadian team), the experience was amazing. To see that kind of talent in a clutch game was awesome. We also met Wayne Gretzky’s wife and father after the game.

So there you go, I hope Japer is happy. I better Tag some others.

No comments: