Monday, September 24, 2007

Sad News

On the eve of the Caps preseason home opener, there is some bad news. Capitals owner Ted Leonsis lost his father. I know how much my pop means to me, so I can empathize with Mr. Leonsis and offer my condolences.

Having said that, the Caps are busy practicing at the Kettler Iceplex again today in preparation for tomorrow night's match up with the Carolina Hurricanes. The Caps' roster is coming more into focus and the next few games are crucial for those wanting to make the line up. Players having a good preseason so far are Dave Steckel and Thomas Fleischmann. Also still in the mix is my dark horse, Chris Bourque, who looks fast and a little beefed up this year to me. His size will always be a factor but if Marin St. Louis, Dan Briere, and Jason Blake can do it, little Bourque can too.

But there are question marks on players that were regulars last season. Mike Green, Brooks Laich and even Brian Sutherby could all be looking at spending some time out of the lineup. That roster wasn't as open and friendly as it was last season when the Caps struggled. It's make it or break it, and the coaches are using the games as an indicator on a players performance. Not only do I think that the Caps play will get better, you will see more chemistry start to evolve and lineups come more into being over the next 4 games of the preseason.

Also at the Phone Booth, the new HD scoreboard is up and operational, just in time for the Caps first game at home. It should add to the experience greatly, although I have not seen it myself.

No comments: