Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Hey, They Said It...

I missed the Caps/Rangers game as I am in the Midwest for Christmas. As soon as my phone buzzed that the Caps were down 4-0, I turned if off and spent the rest of the evening with my family trying not to think about another disappointing loss. Imagine my surprise this morning when I woke up to read about the debacle that Haven so kindly stepped in to write for me in my absence. It was a great Christmas present to open this morning!

Here are a few quotes from the game:

"They stopped playing hockey. They probably believed (at) 4-0 they'd win the game. They tried to play conservative, but we play a different way. We play a hard, physical game and take lots of shots. You see the results."
--Alex Ovechkin on the comeback win.

"The good thing is we were down 4-0 early. It's almost better. If we could get one and start believing ... that's all we kept thinking about in the room. If you believe, it can happen."
--Bruce Boudreau on Christmas miracles.

"Sometimes the coach wants to give you the chance to bounce back, and that's what he did. I was really lucky that I did have the chance to show character."
--Jose Theodore on being pulled and put back in.

"When he came in and he stopped Zherdev, you need defining moments, you need saves at the right time. And that was a save at the right time. The guys knew on the bench that we had the opportunity to come back after he made that save."
--Boudreau on Theo's save in the third period that could have made it 5-2 for the Rangers.

"I was looking at the goals in my head. The way the plays kind of happened, I wouldn't do anything differently. I was just trying not to get down on myself. I was just thinking, 'Do the same thing and it's going to pay off.' In the second I made a couple of saves, and the confidence kicked in."
--Theo on his return to the net in the second period.

"It was a hard loss for us. We just want to improve every game, especially when we lose 7-1. It was a great comeback. We started believing each other again and we won the game."
--Ovi on rebounding from the loss in Philadelphia.

"It came right back to me. It was on edge and I just fired hard. And got a break. It was huge."
--Birthday boy and red hard hat wearer Shaone Morrisonn on his OT game winning goal.

"That was the hardest shot I've ever seen him take."
--Boudreau joking about Morrison's OT winning shot.

"There were some signs in the first period when we were building our lead that we were playing with fire a little bit."
--Ranger coach Tom Renney.

"You've got to let this one go. It happens. They took advantage of the special teams. We've got to regroup. We just let it slip."
--Scott Gomez on the loss.

Quotes are from the Washington Post, AP and broadcast services.

No comments: