Friday, December 22, 2006

Beat Up Caps Beaten

Capitals 1, Devils 4
ScoresheetWash PostNewark S-L

The New Jersey Devils continued their dominance over the Capitals, winning their fifth straight against the hurt Caps. The Caps start a stretch of 6 games in 9 days over the holiday week with a slow start and skidding to a 2 game losing streak. They were 7-1-1 before they played New Jersey, making the Capitals the 2nd hottest team in the East in their last 10 games (only Buffalo was better).

Marty Brodeur continues to confound Alex Ovechkin who was held without a point. The Devils have a way of boring their competitors to death (and the fans, I had to take a nap after the game!). This game was about as exciting as watching paint dry. But their style is winning them games against high powered offenses like the Capitals.

The Caps were a beat up bunch too. Out of the line up were John Erskine (foot fracture), Bryan Muir (same aliment) and Shaone Morrisonn (flu). That prompted the Caps to recall Jeff Schultz from Hershey.

Overall Grade: D (for Defensemenless)

The Caps just weren’t the same team tonight as they were when they had gone 7-1-1, but they were held up by a very experienced defensive team in the Devils. Every time I think it’s time for Brodeur to hang them up, he always surprises me when I see him in person. He hasn’t lost a thing as the Devils number one.

Caps fans took a big step in the right direction by heckling Brodeur before the game about the visor situation. Off Wing has the pic. I didn't see it at the game, but was happy to see some fans get on the opposing team's goaltender for his anti-visor views.

Capitals must try to steal some points soon as the Southeast Division is starting to shrink and teams like Tampa Bay and Florida are starting to find their winning ways. Hey, at least we are not Pittsburgh.

It’s the holiday season, which means I will be on hiatus for a few games, returning around the 27th or 28th, depending on how much beer I consume. So not only will I miss a few games, I will be out of town visiting the in-laws. So if I don’t see you, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and I will see you before years end.

No comments: