Saturday, July 05, 2008

Fireworks Of A Different Kind

Kevin Lowe finally jabs back. Well not only is it a jab, it's a full on upper cut with a few body blows:
"Where do I begin?," started Lowe. "He's a moron, first of all. Secondly, he really believes that any news for the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight and I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that. Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market where they can't get on any page of the newspaper let alone the front page of the sports, so any of this stuff carries on."

"I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, anytime," he explained to Team 1260. "The reality is, Rick Nash's contract a number of years ago, (Patrice) Bergeron's and (Ilya) Kovalchuk's; that sets the standard - that's been going on for decades. I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody in hockey is. I know our peers are like, 'Well, that's Burkie.' This guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But the reality is, I hate the fact that my name is linked to his. He's an underachieving wanna-be in terms of success in the NHL. He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares, it's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

No animosity there. While Lowe has tried to take the high road several times by not engaging, he became Brian Burke's punching bag. The punching bag just punched back. Best line: "He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six..." Ah those crazy GM's. So cute and cuddly.

In other news, Jaromir Jagr is gone (thank goodness). He signed a two year deal somewhere in Russia.

And Southeast Division foes Tampa have done away with Dan Boyle sending him to San Jose in a player swap. Personally, I think this is a mistake on the Lightning's part. Boyle himself didn't take the news to well either. After going on a honeymoon, he just found out himself that he was rumored to be traded when he was returning home.
“I don’t have the nicest things to say about what happened, but I don’t want to dwell on this,” Boyle said in a phone interview from his Ontario cottage. “I was misled and disrespected, and it was really not the right way to do a lot of things. I don’t have anything good to say about how all this went down.”

Is Tampa really doing any good this off season? Or is it shake up for shake up sake?

2 comments:

DMG said...

While I don't understand Burke's pongoing vendetta with Lowe, Lowe made an idiot of himself when he called Anaheim a pathetic hockey market: the Ducks played to 102.6% capacity this season and played both to more fans and a higher capacity than Edmonton

Garrett said...

I agree with you there, it's one thing to call Burke pathetic, it's another to call the city out like that. Should make the Oilers/Ducks game fun to watch though.