Wednesday, November 01, 2006

I Guess the Caps can Practice Now

I Parked at Level 6 in the Ballston Commons Mall and followed signs up some back stairs to reach the new Kettler Iceplex a.k.a Capitals Ice Center. It's the new home of the Washington Capitals practice facility. The Caps invited me to attend their press conference today at 2 p.m. and since I had nothing to do, I decided to take my camera and go.

It was a love fest of glad handing and black slapping on the part of Capitals execs and county officials. "Too bad we haven't put in the snack bar yet," a woman said as she passed me, "we could be selling beer." Not a bad thought.

Olie Kolzig, Brian Sutherby, Chris Clark, and a late Dainius Zubrus helped with the unveiling of the giant Capitals logo in the middle of the ice. Ted Leonsis thanked just about everyone there in a broken voice, and a new era of Capital hockey opened in Arlington County, 8 floors above street level.

The facility is not finished yet, even though both ice surfaces look ready to skate on. Workers were still pounding as the conference finished. Overall the execs looked plenty happy, and in the end, isn't that what its all about?

Here is the video of the unveiling, 30 seconds of my life that I can't get back.



A quick shout-out to my boys at On Frozen Blog who were also at the press conference. Last I saw of them, they were headed to get a beer. I envy them. Caps play Thrashers Friday at the Phone Booth.

No comments: